HomeAway announced Monday it has launched a new collection of pet-friendly homes on HomeAway.com. For bookings made on hmwy.co/pet-travel between now and December 31, the company will donate up to $10,000 to Emancipet, a nonprofit organization that provides accessible and affordable spay/neuter and veterinary care.
The pet-friendly travel collection page aggregates all 350,000 pet-friendly properties listed on the site worldwide. It highlights 17 of its most popular destinations for travelers with pets, including Miramar Beach, Hilton Head Island, San Diego, Galveston, Charleston, and Gatlinburg.
“HomeAway commissioned research that showed more than 19 million American families have traveled with or will travel with their dog this year,” said Melanie Fish, a public relations representative with HomeAway. “We know that pet-friendly vacation rentals can fill accommodations needs for a lot of people who may not realize it yet.”
HomeAway will donate $100 per booking made through the pet-friendly travel collection to Emancipet, capped at $10,000, or 100 reservations.
Both headquartered in Austin, Texas, HomeAway chose to support Emancipet after watching the nonprofit build a network of high-quality, low-cost clinics and advocate to improve the lives of pets in underserved communities. “Since we’ve seen so much of their work in action, including the great work they’re doing to help the 300,000 pets in Puerto Rico left homeless following Hurricane Maria, it was an easy choice to work with them,” said Fish.
Emancipet also provides training and consulting programs to animal welfare organizations nationwide.
The announcement of the collection and the donation campaign coincide with #NationalDogDay on August 26. To mark the occasion, both companies shared tips for traveling with pets:
- If you’re driving, secure your pet in a carrier or safety harness. Stop regularly for potty, water, and snack breaks.
- Make sure your pet is wearing ID tags and is microchipped and registered with updated, accurate contact information.
- Homeowners who list their homes on HomeAway.com don’t all interpret “pet-friendly” the same way. Some charge a pet fee, some don’t have fenced-in yards, and some may provide everything you need for a fantasy pet vacation from food and treats to a pet-welcoming pool. Read the property details, look at the photos, and ask questions if anything isn’t clear.
- Pack smart. Bring more than enough food, treats, and medication, and don’t forget your pet’s bed and favorite toys. If you’re flying, pack enough supplies for a couple of days in your carry-on in case your luggage is lost.
- Locate a veterinary emergency clinic in your destination city — just in case. Travel with vaccination records.
HomeAway is owned by Expedia Group and lists more than 2 million homes across 190 countries.
Would you stay in a smelly beater that was habitually pet friendly?
It is a insult and inconsiderate to your future guests, your cleaning staff……
Use your muddled head not your pocketbook….hospitality ethics and guest respect trump all.
This article makes me sick-
We have 2 dog-friendly vacation rental cabins in Gatlinburg, Tennessee that sleep 10!!
A very hot space and growing as a niche market. The problem, as the previous comment makes, is that there needs to be a lot more information which is often best served by the owner/locals/local govt. Properties also need more detailed information and hosts often have terms (size/breed/where they can sleep etc). Little of this is available in PMSs.
We work with http://passpawt.com, currently, 20,000 properties, UK based and their team have targeted the local information data and house requirements as the way ahead and are working with external teams to develop this rich data.
You have destinations posted here such as Panama City Miramar, and where dogs are not allowed on the beach. Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel, both in Lee County FL, are the only 2 places on the west coast of Florida that allow dogs on the public beach year round as long as they are on a fixed leash. Its one thing to have a pet friendly house but even better to take your dog tot he beach, restaurants and bars.
Please add these destinations as primary tiles in your search boxes.