Wyndham Vacation Rentals announced its acquisition of ResortQuest Whistler. The purchase marks Wyndham’s “first foray” into Canada and adds nearly 600 condominium units to its growing portfolio of vacation rental properties.
ResortQuest Whistler is the largest vacation rentals manager in the Resort Municipality of Whistler.
Whistler/ResortQuest History: Is Wyndham repeating history?
- Whistler Chalets was part of the original roll-up of the foundation of ResortQuest in 1998. (444 units –owned by Patrick McCurdy.)
- Later in 1998, ResortQuest bought Whistler Exclusive (35 units).
- In 1999, ResortQuest purchased Mountain High Management, Whistler (275 units).
- After Gaylord Entertainment purchased ResortQuest, in February 2005, the company acquired 100% of the outstanding common shares of Whistler Lodging Company from O’Neill Hotels and Resorts (600 units) for an aggregate purchase price of $0.1 million in cash plus the assumption of Whistler’s liabilities of $4.9 million.
- In August 2007, Paul Sanderson (who previously served as VP and GM at O’Neill) purchased ResortQuest Whistler (combined properties) from Gaylord and became a locally-owned and operated company with 750 properties.
- At the time, Sanderson said, “We are looking forward to bringing positive change to the company in a variety of key areas with the emphasis on local management delivering outstanding service to guests, owners and employees alike.”
- When Leucadia purchased ResortQuest from Gaylord in 2007, Gaylord had no remaining rental properties in Whistler.
- In 2013, the independent ResortQuest Whistler partnered with O’Neill Hotels & Resorts to operate Blackcomb Suites vacation accommodation rental property.
- With the combined properties of the acquisition activity above, Wyndham purchased ResortQuest Whistler with 600 properties.
According to the Wyndham press release:
“We are delighted to enter the market in Canada and to welcome ResortQuest Whistler to the Wyndham Vacation Rentals family,” said Mary Lynn Clark, president, Wyndham Vacation Rentals North America. “Whistler joins the already impressive list of world-class ski destinations where we offer travelers the comfort and convenience of a vacation rental along with the peace-of-mind that comes with booking your trip with a trusted hospitality company.”
“We are excited to be joining the larger Wyndham Vacation Rentals family,” said Paul Sanderson on behalf of the selling partners. “We view this as a very positive opportunity for our homeowners, guests, associates and for Whistler itself.”