Steve Craig and ProResort have done many “Live-in” Housekeeping Seminars that property managers have come to call a vacation rental housekeeping “college.” Craig says, “It is actually more like a “boot camp. What is learned and how it is learned are important, of course, but the intense networking with others is what makes the week so special.”
This year’s ProResort Housekeeping Live-In Seminar will be held February 20 -27, 2016 on St. George Island, FL. about 70 miles southwest of Tallahassee, and there are still a few slots left.
The major topics to be covered include the following:
- Effective cleaning routines and how to teach them, including video training.
- Proper inspection routines and how to teach them.
- Effective recruiting, motivating, and incentive pay plans.
- Carpet care that keeps units looking nice through busy season. You will learn bonnet buffing, carpet repair, and many spotting techniques.
- Team-building and management “games.”
- The 12 fundamentals of vacation rental housekeeping
- How to effectively recruit housekeepers.
- And much more!!!! (linen controls, dealing with nasty owners, unit evaluations, and on and on and on!) There will be a laundry visitation and many discussions about linen distribution systems
- All meals are taken as a group, in the “host” unit. Meals are used as work sessions. You will be sent, once selected, some food preferences/choices. The cost of all meals is included in the seminar cost. Alcohol, sodas, personal snacks: these are at the expense of the attendee.
- There are 8 attendees only. They all live in the same house. The entire cost of this housing is included in the seminar fee. You can see the property at http://www.resortvacationproperties.com/rvp/vacation-rentals/property-details/index.php?propid=7392&SRCH=tr
- Classes start at 8:30am each day, dinner ends by 7pm, then there is homework each evening, including group projects. On Friday evening we will go out to dinner and drinks (Included in the fee) for an “awards dinner” function.
- The items not included in the fee are your transportation to the property (all transportation during the classes themselves is provided) and any incidentals, snack items, liquor, etc. Long distance calls from the host unit are FREE for all attendees!
- Once you save a spot, we send travel info regarding airports, traveling directions, etc.
Tips from previous seminars
- It has never worked out when husbands and wives attend together. One or the other, not both. We will take your money but don’t suggest this be done.
- This is a vacation rental housekeeping seminar, not a hotel or timeshare seminar.
- We are often asked, by those who live close to the seminar site, if they can attend and not have to stay overnight in a unit. The answer is yes (and a housing credit is given on the fee), but we recommend against it because the networking and cooperative homework are absent from their experience, and those who have done it have felt their experience was diminished.
- The seminar will be hosted by Resort Vacation Properties of SGI. Checkin is any time after 10am on Saturday February 20 but you must be there by 5pm for the Welcome Reception and your first homework assignment. and checkout is after cleaning and inspection tests on February 27.
- The cost is $2650 per person inclusive of housing and meals and all seminar materials and sample products. For the two that share a bedroom, the fee will be reduced to $2500.
How to save your company’s spot at the seminar
- You can call, fax, or email to save a spot (s) officially for someone in your company.
- You don’t need to have a name of the attendee at this time.
- By mid-January, if you select a slot, you will be sent a detailed packet with travel info, a detailed agenda, etc.
- You will then have until January 31, 2016 to notify us of the actual person to be attending if you have not done so already.
- Payment in full will also be due by January 31, 2016 or your slot will be forfeited.
- Contact info: Stephen R. Craig, 850-303-1358, email@example.com
Comments from Previous Attendees
Gwen Polk of Meyer Real Estate says: “After the live-in seminar I was so filled with excitement and enthusiasm that I could hardy wait until I got back to Gulf Shores to start utilizing what I had learned. We sent another of our staff last year and she came back so pumped up and excited and she has been able to perform her job better than either of us had ever hoped.”
Kathy Manning of Emerald Isle Realty says “This was the single best experience of my professional housekeeping career. We have since sent two others to this seminar”
Diania Whitehead of Ocean Resorts says “I learned more in one week than I had ever dreamed was possible.”
Nancy Dusault of Pahio Resorts says “Thank, you, thank you, thank you for giving me this opportunity to learn so much with such neat people. I am sure we will be fast and firm friends forever!”
Holly Montorio of Dunes Beach Home Rentals says “I can honestly say that this class laid the solid foundation of knowledge that will enable me to be successful for many years.”
Nancy Boyle (retired owner of a vacation rental company) said “Yes, I paid to attend. All I had ever heard about housekeeping was that it couldn’t be done successfully. So my head housekeeper and I attended together, and what we learned together changed the way we did housekeeping forever.”